[lbo-talk] Narnia

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 20 07:38:19 PST 2005

Of course it is supposed to be a Christian allegory. But the Christians don't have a monopoly on the elements of the story.

I have no objection to expressly Christian writing. There's Dante and Milton to start with, and Donne and Herbert and Herrick and Marvell, Chaucer too, and if my old Shakespeare teacher DW Robertson, or one his acolytes was right, Shakespeare (er, Lord Bacon, Baron Verulam, or maybe the Earl of Oxford), although I don't believe it about Shakespeare, whom I think was no more religious than respectibility required.

I like Lewis' fellow Inkling Charles Williams even better than Lewis, and Willaims is way more Christian than Lewis.

Has anyone ever noticed that there is no religion in Tolkien's the Lord of the Rings? I mean, The Silmarillion tells a rather silly creation story that plays no role in the Hobbitt or the LotR, but none of the peoples in the LotR has any religions, priests, churches, synagogues, mosques, temples, or whathaveyou. Apparently the loony right is big into The Return of The King, but the elements of the story are only rather loosely Christian.