[lbo-talk] Re: Chip Berlet on Hustler

Bitch | Lab info at pulpculture.org
Tue Dec 20 09:45:00 PST 2005

At 12:23 PM 12/20/2005, you wrote:
>Carrol Cox wrote:
>
>>The party line of the left is pro-porn. Now the party line may be
>>correct in this case. It often is. But let's not deceive ourselves over
>>the overwhelmingly pro-sex/pro-porn consensus on the left for at least
>>40 years.
>
>Man, you really are out of touch out there in the cornfields. There's no
>party line. It's quite controversial. Where do you get these ideas?
>
>Doug

Yeah, the C-span booknotes slot Chuck0 pointed us at the other night clearly didn't reveal pro-porn sentiments on the panel.

Yesterday, one of the leading sites for _younger_ feminists, Feministing, had this to say about thigh high boots. I have no idea what these young women are on about, but if they're not being ironic, then I'm certainly puzzled why we'd be opposed to thigh highs in order to be feminists. The usuall thinking is that hetmen see them as hooker wear, thus, hetmen will treat women who wear them as hooker or, worse, their horrid, horrid bestial sexuality will rear its head and you'll get raped. The same thing I was told about going braless with a tank top at 13!

This is a completely backward, foundationlist, essentializing attitude toward human sexuality I don't even know where to start, but it sure doesn't bode well for sex-positive feminism if the leading site for young feminist women thinks thoughts along these lines, or worse, thinks that its a sign of being "low class," "trashy," and "slutty" with a, therefore, completely uninterrogated notion of their own racism and classism.

http://feministing.com/archives/002432.html

Germany is clearly expecting a hell of a lot of <http://feministing.com/archives/001729.html>sex work going on during the 2006 World Cup.

Prostitution is legal only in designated areas in Germany, hence the oh-so-helpful <http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1653451.html?menu=>"no prostitutes here" signs. The signs are supposed to stop fans from bothering women who aren't sex workers and stop sex workers from moving out of the legal areas.

Working girl or not, I think we can all agree with the sign's sentiment that thigh-high boots are not acceptable under any circumstances.

"Scream-of-consciousness prose, peppered with sociological observations, political ruminations, and in-yore-face colloquial assaults."

-- Dennis Perrin, redstateson.blogspot.com

Bitch | Lab http://blog.pulpculture.org