[lbo-talk] Morning-After Pill suit hearing Dec 22 Brooklyn

JBrown72073 at cs.com JBrown72073 at cs.com
Tue Dec 20 12:04:53 PST 2005

There's a hearing on our suit against the FDA in Brooklyn on Thursday (hearing is on the government's motion to dismiss). In brief, we're suing the FDA for violating its internal policies on approving drugs for over-the-counter sale in the case of the Morning-After Pill. We also allege that this is discriminatory since they are denying over-the-counter status *because* the users of this drug are female. Evidence from a recent GAO study will help our case, as will the protest resignation of the woman in charge of women's reproductive health at FDA, Susan Wood. The Center for Reproductive Rights initiated the suit; I'm one of nine individual plaintiffs. Details below:

*WE NEED YOU at the oral arguments in the feminist lawsuit against the FDA* *Thursday, December 22nd (new date!), 2 p.m., Federal Court, Brooklyn, NY*

*A strong mass of women at this hearing will send a clear message to the

judge: Women demand the morning-after pill over-the-counter! *

In January 2005 the Center for Reproductive Rights filed suit against the

FDA in Brooklyn, NY. The lawsuit, *Tummino vs. von Eschenbach* (current

FDA Commissioner), charges the FDA with ignoring scientific fact and holding

the Morning-After Pill to a different standard than other over-the-counter

drugs, consequently breaking the FDA's rules and regulations and

discriminating against women.

The suit was filed on behalf of 9 women

associated with the Women's Liberation Birth Control Project and the

Morning-After Pill Conspiracy, as well as two organizations.

Not surprisingly, the government wants this case thrown out. On Thursday, December

22nd (new date!) our lawyers will argue why the case should move forward. Feminists

are encouraged to attend this proceeding in a show of solidarity. We will

pass out buttons or arm bands to those who support our case and want the

Morning-After Pill over-the-counter.

Please forward this email to friends and

organizations.

*DETAILS:*

The hearing starts at 2:00,

so please meet up at 1:30 in front of the courthouse. It takes a while to

get through metal detectors- bring ID and be aware you will have to hand

over your cell phone. The address is 225 Cadman Plaza East. Take 2/3 to Clark St Station, 4/5 to Borough Hall or M/R to Court St./Borough Hall. (If the Transit Workers are still striking, call the MTA and tell them to treat the workers right, right now!)

For more Info: Call Annie 917-859-9379 or email birthcontrolproject at gmail.com

Websites: www.birthcontrolproject.org, www.mapconspiracy.org

Jenny Brown