[lbo-talk] Re: Chip Berlet on Hustler

Bitch | Lab info at pulpculture.org
Tue Dec 20 13:11:18 PST 2005

is is a "gang up" when someone here says something negative about abortion, a settled question on the left?

Take the What Western Feminist quiz and notice that, when I took it, only 11% wound answering questions in a way that would suggest a non-foundationlist conception of sex/gender. Not the best indicator of attitudes toward pornography and what kind of clothing to wear, but one.

http://blog.pulpculture.org/2005/12/20/feminist-quiz/

the notion that anyone, especially a man who considers himself a feminist (and I consider him one, too) would make the claim that Hustler is a misogynist rag, while not also contextualizing that claim to understand that almost every rag/media outlet/whatever in this country carries misogynistic images of men and distorted oppressive images of men, people of color, etc etc. is exactly why this view is not a common way of thinking on the left.

I'd do a Bitch Poll but I've got other things to do. I someone want to write it up, though, I'll host it and try to get people to take it. I think you'll find that acceptance of pornography or tolerance of it and sex work is not anywhere near a dominant position on the left, let alone among feminists.

if I or anyone else here can't point out to a fellow feminist that s/he's making claims that are unsupported, simply because you want to call it a gang up, we are in deep doo doo. Chip can hold this same view. He just needs to have a better argument -- and stop telling other feminists that they aren't feminists be/c they don't agree with him.