[lbo-talk] Re: Chip Berlet on Hustler

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Dec 21 10:06:11 PST 2005

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

> However, the debates about porn tends to either ignore that complexity and
> make sweeping generalizations or use it for selective support of the points
> ones want to argue. This certainly is not a rational way of approaching the
> subject.

Wojtek takes what is an unavoidable attribute of maillist discourse and ascribes to the specific instance of the debate on porn -- which in any case was not really a debate on porn but a debate over the placement of left-agitation. I assume that any document aimed at "the public in general" can only have an agitationl content, and cannot intelligibly be theory or propaganda. Again, I'm using Kautsky's definition of these terms. For those not familiar with left history, Lenin repeats Kautsky on this matter in WITBD. In this context "propaganda" may be glossed as "educational." The essential goal of agitation is to create an audience for theory and propaganda.

Carrol

P.S. Anyone who has ever done any actual organizing in the last two centuries, at any level beginning with gradeschoolers protesting a short recess, has followed (willy-nilly) the point Yoshie made in a post yesterday: "That said, a political strategy that leftists should pursue is to rally the base first and then go after the rest." This is to left organizing what a+b = b+a is to mathematics.