[lbo-talk] Re: Chip Berlet on Hustler

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Wed Dec 21 10:20:10 PST 2005

Dear List:

Szechuan Death writes:

> How is biology a "discourse"? "Biology", the last time
I looked at the definition of that word, meant "the study or science of life". Granted, the concept of "life" is somewhat fuzzily defined, but rather like obscenity, we can identify it when confronted with it.

Question for all those academic types I love to rag on: isn't identifying and defining "things" what discourse is all about? (Maybe I have learned something LOL).

>If we deconstruct it enough, we can "support" either
conclusion. Isn't critique magical that way?

Actually, I have never found it to be so, but you do admit that you are naive in this area.

>These misogynistic ideas arise _because_ he is living
in a feminist household. Little boys being raised as good little girls are (understandably) generally not happy about this fact, it confuses them and damages their internal sense of "who they are supposed to be".

SD, I believe you are new to our little family and may not be aware of how we try (and sometimes fail) to discourse with each other.

Some of us write dense economic posts and some write more personal ones. Some even manage to do both. But one thing we try to do is not be snarky and imperious, especially about members and their families. Those who violate this prohibition (which is, of course, socially constructed) tend to get BitchLab slapped from several directions at once.

Finally, I write only as a member. I am not the moderator, and I sure he will BitchLab slap if I have stepped out of line.

Brian Dauth Queer Buddhist Resister