[lbo-talk] Posner op-ed: 4th amendment? We don't need no stinking 4th amendment!

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 21 13:05:22 PST 2005

No surprise. I have always said that Judge Posner has a lot of bad views -- he is a conservative Republican.

A few years ago he wrote an opinion letting Chicago put its Red Squad back in business. Lately he's defended torture in print. He's more libertarian than many GOPsters, but he's getting less so. I will say that after 911, in my experience, some version of this happened all across the judiciary, even with very liberal judges. OF course they had further to fall than Posner. None of that cancels out anything I've said about Judge Posner's brilliance, the fertility and inventiveness of his mind. his lovely prose, and so forth. I'm disappointed, but nor surprised.

Btw, the 4th Amendment only kicks in, practically if you are talking about a criminal investigation, wherethe remedy is suppression. Judge Posner is right that historically the spya gencies whose job is NOT law enforcement have had a much wider scope abroad. What is alarming _constitutionally_ is the that they should be allowed, as Bush has permitted them in violation of a whole bunch of laws, to extend that scope here, and if the info is shared for use in criminal prosecutions as permitted under the Patriot Act or for executive detentions.