[lbo-talk] Why Writing for the New York Times Is Better than Writing for Hustler

Bitch | Lab info at pulpculture.org
Wed Dec 21 17:32:22 PST 2005

At 08:18 PM 12/21/2005, W. Kiernan wrote:

>a.) sluts who are so-o-o horny they're pretty much mindless panting
> fucktoys (alas, these delicious sluts are essentially impossible
> for readers to get hold of in real life)
>b.) ugly sex-hating harridans (e.g. that one who lobbied the local
> zoning board against the new strip club, "Andrea Dworkin,"
> assorted snobby women who have variously disrespected the
> real-world reader, his frigid & hostile wife, etc.)
>c.) on the margins, cynical strippers, porno models, prostitutes,
> i.e. "hustlers."
>
>For males, another three:
>
>d.) swine with hard-ons (5.) on full automatic (these dudes, however,
> seem only to exist in conjunction with the rare and elusive
> type a.) female fucktoys)
>e.) contemptible dickless losers in two flavors, corrupt or stupid
>f.) on the margins, cynical pornographers, pimps, strip club operators,
> i.e. "hustlers."

this sounds like ironic self-observation and criticism of the porn industry to me. Like a second-cousin to Matt Taibbi when he's skewering the media.

I'd note that no one here is defending Hustler. Asking people who've made claims about it to back up their claims with evidence isn't the same thing as defending it. And, I'll repeat, my problem was with a fellow leftist proclaiming that writer for Hustler meant you couldn't be a feminist.

"Scream-of-consciousness prose, peppered with sociological observations, political ruminations, and in-yore-face colloquial assaults."

-- Dennis Perrin, redstateson.blogspot.com

Bitch | Lab http://blog.pulpculture.org