[lbo-talk] Re: Porn, Hustler, et al

boddi satva lbo.boddi at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 17:50:59 PST 2005

C. Brian,

You are using "essentiallist" to form a falacious argument, ascribing implications to what I'm saying that aren't there.

Let me ennumerate my points:

1. Even a cursory glance at the catalog of any major porn distributor reveal that **most** porn is appalling, evil crap. The most popular pornographic magazines like Hustler and videos and websites are appalling in their attitudes towards women and I really didn't care for the attitude in the one gay film I saw.

2. All the sex workers I know say that to do that work you have to be able to compartmentalize to a far greater extent than most people can. Because what you are called on to do is extremely intrusive. Indeed many sex workers learned these strong compartmentalization skills to deal with abuse, often recapitulated by pimp/owners who run porno concerns. All the sex workers I know have suffered significant abuse. Maybe it's different in the happy-go-lucky world of gay sex work. The only gay sex worker I knew was a kid in my high school - an extraordinarily talented artist who died of AIDS he caught while doing casual prostitution to get money after his parents threw him out. He was a very smart kid but artsy and a little goofy and some of his older clients persuaded him not to use condoms. They're dead too.

3. Children are certainly not free, sexual individuals. They are protected by law for extremely good reason. Parents, a good **instructional** video, book or web site, a visit to the doctor and maybe a wine cooler or two is all kids need to explore their sexuality. Not porn and not adult partners. Sure, I would have liked it if the college girl who babysat next door had favored me with her attentions when I was 14, but if it was laws that kept her from fulfilling my desires I am glad to have made that sacrifice if those laws keep evil people away from kids and there are far too many of those evil people around.

4. Women just do not show the interest in porn that both gay and straight men do, as evidenced by what sells in the marketplace. Porn is about the simplest thing in the world to produce and Internet distribution couldn't be easier. If there was a market, we would see it.

5. I say all these things as a sometime consumer of porn. Porn is (mostly) about private fantasy and that should be free from political critique. I'm not against it as a concept in the least.I'm not against fried chicken either, but I know it's a dirty busines and you have ot face the realities.

6. I'm no "sex-positive" person or whatever. I'm a bit old-fashioned personally, but I still think there is a great deal positive in expanding acceptance of sexuality - sex work, different sexual tendencies - largely because I think it will de-mystify this stuff and bring people closer. It may make me a little squeamish personally, but I think it's good for society.

Also, it would be nice if there was better porn. I'm not against it as a concept in the least .I'm not against fried chicken either, but I know it's a dirty busines and you have to face the realities. "Good" porn may be a bit like fat-free fried chicken - a nice idea, a good goal, but somewhat self-contradictory.

boddi