[lbo-talk] racist column in the Daily News

John Lacny jlacny at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 22 05:49:50 PST 2005

The pseudonymous "boddi" writes:

> So the phrase "father knows best" couldn't just be a reference
> to the phrase: "TWU International, the striking local's parent
> union" he used two sentences before. It had to refer to the
> whiteness of the TWU President.

TWU Local 100 is heavily people of color. The International president slapped them down in public to cover his own ass, and his comments have been picked up and are being run by all the Murdoch and other racist papers in New York City. If you don't see the racial dimensions of this strike, you're just not paying attention. The newspapers are calling Roger Toussaint a "thug" and railing histrionically against the strike because they can't stand the sight of black and brown men who make decent pay and want to protect their pensions, too. Furthermore, the infantilization of black men -- and the notion that white men are the father figures who know what's best for blacks -- is a common pattern of racist thinking in this country. Of course what the Daily News columnist wrote had racist connotations. I don't know why I even have to have this argument here.