[lbo-talk] Re: Chip Berlet on Hustler

JBrown72073 at cs.com JBrown72073 at cs.com
Thu Dec 22 06:54:42 PST 2005

Szechuan Death wrote:

>Oh, I think I'll stay, thanks - just returning a favor here, don't mind
>me. But why the hostility? Remember, comrade: if we oppress the
>diversity of other voices, then the terrorists have already won!
>Perhaps you could take a stab at answering some of the questions rather
>than making (laughably) ominous statements?

If it's laughable, it's not ominous. I was expressing an opinion and making a suggestion.

>There are 38 questions to
>choose from, I daresay you'll find one that suits you. Given your
>apparent tastes and bent, I would recommend giving the last four
>questions of my response to "Education and Sexuality" the old college try:
>
>"Is it surprising that in the presence of such an active distortion of
>ordinary and traditional sexual mores, that pornography is so actively
>consumed? What shall be done about this state of affairs? What was the
>cause of this state of affairs to begin with?", and
>
>"I can think of one sure-fire means of directing men and women to
>healthier and more productive pursuits - adopt as a cultural habit the
>Jewish/Christian/Muslim practice of stoning of fornicators and of women
>who lie about virginity, and reinstating the practice of arranged
>marriage. That would dry up most of that porn, all right. What do you
>think of that solution?"
>
>What's your take on those, Jenny? Agree? Disagree?

Compelling though it is to debate with you on the stoning of 'fornicators,' I think I'll pass. See, I don't view maillists as an opportunity to bludgeon the opposition, nor do I view political argument as sport.

Jenny Brown