[lbo-talk] Evolutionary theory/Gravitation

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 23 08:12:27 PST 2005

--- Matt <lbo3 at beyondzero.net> wrote:

> Yes, the dynamic nature of space-time and gravity as
> the manifestation
> of the curving effects of matter is the explanation
> of the "mechanism"
> as given by General Relativity. It works very very
> well; in other
> words the mathematical predictions have been
> experimentally confirmed.

That's not a mechanism -- that's an improved predictive model. The question is "why does matter cause space to 'curve'?", i.e., "why is there gravity?", "why does matter have this occult property?"

It has been 10 years since I read Einstein's for-the-layman book on SR and GR, but if I recollect correctly (a big if) no such explanation is given.

Nu, zayats, pogodi!

__________________________________ Yahoo! for Good - Make a difference this year. http://brand.yahoo.com/cybergivingweek2005/