[lbo-talk] Fwd: ZNet Update Transit Strike Essay

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Dec 23 09:37:47 PST 2005

> Michael Pugliese wrote:
>
> >http://www.columbia.edu/~lnp3/msg76157.html
>
> Which - and I'm surprised to find myself saying this - overstates
> the level of bourgeois hegemony. There was a substantial reservoir
> of support for the transit workers - spontaneously, with no
> preparatory work by the union. Imagine what could have been had
> TWU100 actually done some agitprop.
>
> Doug

I suppose that Local 100 could have done more agitprop, but, realistically, what broadcast avenues were open to them except maybe WBAI, NYCIndyMedia, and the like? And what measurable impact would that have made on the outcome of the strike? The TWU international didn't support the local and no other union took solidarity action to widen the strike -- would they have if Local 100 had done something different? New Yorkers who could be expected to support the strike -- a large majority of Blacks, nearly half of Latinos, and about a quarter of whites -- did in fact support it. It is doubtful that Local 100 alone could have transformed their passive support into active militant action by "some agitprop" in a short time.

Yoshie Furuhashi <http://montages.blogspot.com> <http://monthlyreview.org> <http://mrzine.org>