[lbo-talk] Liza on CNBC

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Fri Dec 23 11:02:20 PST 2005

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005, Doug Henwood wrote:

> Liza's going to be on CNBC's Power Lunch today at about 1:15, talking about
> the judgment against Wal-Mart for denying workers to take lunch breaks.

You were great, Liza! You've really developed a very personal style that's very effective for this kind of exchange. You've totally perfected this cute smile that radiates sweetness, sweet reasonableness, and gives just a tiny touch of sweet sarcasm to your reaction shots (especially when you add this slow blink). This humpty dumpty lookalike went after you like you were a tackling dummy, and you completely stopped him without ever speeding up or getting ruffled. It made your position look like the emergence of common sense, and his like a rattletrap that was falling apart by itself. And I laughed out loud at the end when the host said, "And thank you to Rick Berman, who is not an advocate for Wal-Mart, but did a pretty good job at it."

I was very impressed.

Michael