[lbo-talk] Mark Kleiman on Tookie Willams

Gar Lipow the.typo.boy at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 15:34:26 PST 2005

One of the "moderate" liberal community, finally picks up the point that Tookie Williams may have been innocent of the crime he was executed for:

After the usual disclaimers to make sure he still though Tookie was a very, very , very, extremely bad man, Kleiman says

http://tinyurl.com/dkcc4

>Williams was convicted largely on the word of a jailhouse informant
who bargained his way out of his own potential trip to Death Row by asserting that Williams had confessed to him. Such testimony is, of course, inherently unreliable.

>If we're considering the question of whether Williams was guilty of
the specific murders he died for, rather than the question of whether in some non-legal sense he deserved to die, then his role as the co-founder of the Crips cuts for him rather than against him. His notoriety could only have increased the pressure on the LA Sheriff's Department and the LA DA's Office to cut corners in order to convict him. That the prosecutor in fact used peremptory challenges to remove all blacks from the jury pool is undisputed; nor is there any question that he used strongly racist language (e.g., "jungle") in seeking the death penalty. Is it implausible that a prosecutor willing to do that might also offer perjured testimony and suppress exculpatory evidence? Hardly.