[lbo-talk] Fwd: ZNet Update Transit Strike Essay

Michael Hirsch mmh655 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 24 10:42:37 PST 2005

Doug:

Thanks for posting my piece on the strike. Some comments.

I don't think the unions are brain-dead on public support. You're generalizing from the construction trades, where the rat is the greatestand only innovation since the mass picket. An electroencephalogram would show some level of increased brain activity when it comes to making common cause with the public. That's especially true for the teachers, who've moved in the last 10 years to actively and successfully courting parent and community groups on school funding and curriculum issues and other common concerns. And it's also true for the TWU, which six years ago and even under its old leadership hired Corporate Campaign to bring its issues to the public, in anticipation of a strike the former leadership eventually walked away from. This time--and its still too early for those of us not immediately in the TWU 100 extended family to say for sure--it looks like the union spent its time solidifying its own ranks, thinking that a solid walkout meant the MTA thickheads would blink, and relying on PR- guru-to- the-stars Ken Sunshine to get the word out that what's good for transit workers is good for the public, too. Faced with a solid walkout, the MTA didn't blink, and it looks like the union had no plan B.in a situation where one public workers union-- no matter how strategically placed-- could no longer bring a state authority to its knees.

Re: solidarity: The local never had the expectation that other unions would do more than offer verbal support, turn out numbers on picket lines and rallies, bring coffee to freezing pickets or raise money for a strike fund. Solidarity job actions were never in the cards--why that is true is an issue worth puzzling over--and by the third Central Labor Council rally I was getting tired , too, of the daisy chain of tough-talking labor leaders who joined Jesse Jackson and the Rev Al in pledging a rhetorical support they were in no real position to flesh out. But it's also a mistake to minimize what the Central Labor Council and the Municipal Labor Committee were prepared to do, and did. Like poker, sometimes you just have to bluff.

As I write, talks are going on and the Times is estimating a contract could be in hand after Xmas. If that happens, and if it contains no givebacks, Roger Toussaint will be a hero. , and the Taylor law weakened. It'll be worth nine days of pay in penalties. Stay tuned.

Mike