[lbo-talk] Krugman's Latest

Wojtek Sokolowski wsokol52 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 24 13:09:36 PST 2005

--- boddi satva <lbo.boddi at gmail.com> wrote:

> This sinister, cynical philosophy of simply spending
> the money on
> useless pork is fantastic because the Democrats are
> unable to critique
> it. They are so attached to this "Democrats spend
> federal money,
> Republicans are niggardly" idea that they cannot
> react to this
> Republican behavior. What we see among Democrats and
> I think we even
> see here on this list is an inflexible message.
> Meanwhile the Right
> are more in touch with why they believe what they
> believe (how it
> operates in the class struggle they are trying to
> win) and are far
> more flexible.

Agreed, but that is good old machine politics - as American as apple pie. As Theda Skocpol convincingly argued, it has been very effective in keeping labor movement at bay (cf. _Protecting Soldiers and Mothers_ and her edited volume on social policy in the United States.)

Wojtek

__________________________________ Yahoo! for Good - Make a difference this year. http://brand.yahoo.com/cybergivingweek2005/