[lbo-talk] Fwd: ZNet Update Transit Strike Essay

Wojtek Sokolowski wsokol52 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 25 06:09:04 PST 2005

--- Chuck <chuck at mutualaid.org> wrote:

>> This is the same Guardian online, right. I don't
> know much about the
> print version, so I can't comment there.

Yeah, it is one of the most respectable newspapers in the UK that appeal to mainstream readers (not just the "left choir") - easily an equal weight to the WSJ.

As far as the rest of your posting is concerned, I agree. I understand that there are historical reasons why labor interests have not coalesced in the same way they did in Europe, but it does not mean that launching a pro-labor "voice" - the media and political and cultural representation is a hopeless proposition.

I also agree with your view of "victim mentality" of the Left that prevents them from utlizing the existing outlets. Part of it is sticking to the old tropes that most media outlets, and people find utterly boring. I think the existing outlets should be utilized to a much greater degree, but that would require th eleft having a coherent story and hammering it in a way that is acceptable to people who are persuadable but not necessarily on "our" side. The "in-your-face" bs favored by th eleft seem to have the opposite effect - drives persudable people away.

In any case, I think that agreeing on a story and strategy - or rather strategies - is the sammler part of the problem. A much bigger part is to have diffeerent groups and institutions acting in concert to implement these strategies.

Wojtek

__________________________________________ Yahoo! DSL – Something to write home about. Just $16.99/mo. or less. dsl.yahoo.com