[lbo-talk] Krugman's Latest

W. Kiernan wkiernan at ij.net
Mon Dec 26 18:57:58 PST 2005

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

> You seem to imply that the ruling class seeks to harm

> working class *in addition* to profit seeking. How

> can you separate the two?

Because the investing class is so often willing to take a sizable monetary loss in order to diminish the leverage of the working class. What else would you call it when the Fed hoists rates in order to discourage industrial credit and cool off the economy, just so they can run the unemployment level back up a couple of ticks? Keep in mind that during the Reagan and Bush I administrations the Fed would put the damper on whenever the unemployment rate threatened to dip below the magic "NAIRU" figure of six percent or so, when the Clinton Administration demonstrated that even unemployment rates a full two percent lower didn't result in the feared avalanche of uncontrollable wage-driven inflation. How I wish that fucker Greenspan's pencil neck were within reach of my hands.

Yours WDK - WKiernan at ij.net