[lbo-talk] Krugman's Latest

Wojtek Sokolowski wsokol52 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 26 19:28:57 PST 2005

--- boddi satva <lbo.boddi at gmail.com> wrote:

> Right, except the Republicans are expanding the size
> and scope of the
> "Beast" more quickly than Johnson's "Great Society".
> So what's the
> explaination for that?

Two words: corporate welfarism aka military Keynesianism.

"Drowning the beast in a bathtub" is just a slogan for stupid Amercian sheeple who subcribe to this kind of anti-government horseshit. The ruling class need a big government, but of the kind Adolf Hitler described in _Mein Kampf_: authority towards below, responsibility toward above. This translates into cuts of social programs but expansion of military spending and corporate pork and barrel, cuts in taxes on capital but increases in taxes on labor - you get the drift.

Regarding comments posted on the same subject by Charles Brown and W. Kiernan - I do not think that speculating about the motives of the ruling class is a particularly useful exercise for a number of reasons, chief among them being that we have no way of knowing these reasons.

What is more, knowing these reasons is not really that important after all. Personally, I do not particularly care whether, say, Greenspan does what he does because he hates people like me or does it without any hard feelings, just to obtain that nirvana of the neoclassical heaven - the Pareto optimum. Either way, he is the enemy that should be resisted by any means necessary - regardless of his motives, actual or perceived.

Wojtek

__________________________________________ Yahoo! DSL – Something to write home about. Just $16.99/mo. or less. dsl.yahoo.com