[lbo-talk] The Pentagon budget has "...been a great ride for the last five years." - CEO, Boeing Military Division

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 08:55:22 PST 2005

The Pentagon will apparenty focus on "asymetric warfare" for the not-so-forseeable future. //lcm

December 27, 2005 Contractors Are Warned: Cuts Coming for Weapons By LESLIE WAYNE

Everyone at the conference was hanging on the words of Ryan Henry, and it was not difficult to figure out why.

Mr. Henry, a top Pentagon planning official, was giving an early glimpse of the Defense Department's priorities over the next four years to an industry gathering in New York of executives of Lockheed Martin, Boeing, General Dynamics and other leading military contractors.

For his listeners, there was one question hanging in the air: What will the impact be on me - and on my company?

Some of the answers were already clear, even if there were few details. Mr. Henry, whose official title is principal deputy under secretary of defense for policy, said the Pentagon's spending binge of the last several years - its budget has increased 41 percent since 9/11 - cannot be sustained. "We can't do everything we want to do."

It was a message that the industry has been bracing for. The Pentagon budget, James F. Albaugh, chief executive of Boeing's $30 billion military division, said at the conference, has "been a great ride for the last five years." But, he added: "We will see a flattening of the defense budget. We all know it is coming."

The issue, however, goes beyond tightening budgets. Mr. Henry told the contractors that the Pentagon was redefining the strategic threats facing the United States. No longer are rival nations the primary threat - a type of warfare that calls for naval destroyers and fighter jets. Today the country is facing international networks of terrorists, and the weapons needed are often more technologically advanced, flexible and innovative. [...]

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/27/business/27weapons.html

-- Leigh leighcmeyers at gmail.com http://www.leighm.net http://leighmdotnet.blogspot.com