[lbo-talk] WMK Redux

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Tue Dec 27 19:35:01 PST 2005

I'm in the middle of "What's the Matter with Kansas," which is very excellent.

I'm finding that the book is cutting a bit close to home. In the middle of the chapter on moderate versus conservative Republicans in Johnson County, I ran across a name that sent me into fits of bemusement. Frank interviewed an upper crust JOCO moderate Republican named Donald Sutherland for this chapter. It turns out this is the same guy who sent me a threatening legal letter several months ago concenring a conflict I'm having with another local scion of the upper crust class.

Bizarre.

Frank's analysis of the class alignment of Republicans in Johnson County is pretty on target from my experience. I bet that his take can be generalized for the rest of Kansas City, especially the booming exurbs of Lee's Summit and Blue Springs.

Chuck