[lbo-talk] The Housing Market's Last Gasp

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Dec 28 11:17:07 PST 2005

Merrill Lynch estiamtes that a flat housing market would knock about 1% off GDP growth. Other estimates are a bit bigger, maybe 2%. Since we're now around 3.5%, that's still above 0%. It would probably take a bigger hit out of consumption than other elements of GDP.

People who've bought r.e. for spec purposes could take a bath even on a flat market. For people who bought overpriced houses just to live in, well at least they'll still have the house.

Of course it could be worse - it could cause and/or deepen a recession - which is exactly what the US needs according to the textbooks. But I just like to remind people that a problem doesn't always have to turn into a disaster.

Doug