[lbo-talk] Fitch on unions & health insurance

Michael Perelman michael at ecst.csuchico.edu
Wed Dec 28 14:44:46 PST 2005

Doug, would you be able to ask him to tell me more about this. I once took a long walk with him in Berkeley, but we never remained in contact. I was very impressed with the Fitch/Openheimer articles.

Thanks.

Opposition to a national health care plan is as much a part of the American trade union tradition as the picket line. It goes back to Samuel Gompers, the founder of the American Federation of Labor, who railed at early Congressional efforts to pass a law mandating employer coverage as Britain had done, which he said had "taken much of the virility out of the British unions."

Tel. 530-898-5321 E-Mail michael at ecst.csuchico.edu