[lbo-talk] Does Clinton have to face questions like this?

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 29 08:58:11 PST 2005

Finished reading the Argumenty i Fakty (AiF) Internet press conference with Gorbachev, and damn does he get a lot of bile spewed in his direction. I translate small sections below. Interesting that all the people cursing him are emigrants, whereas the people actually living in Russia mostly thank him (I translated all the negative stuff -- the positive stuff, which is the majority, is less entertaining!).

Akopian R.G., Montreal, Canada:

Respected newspaper AIF, I am not sure that my questions and opinions will make it to this fool, this leader of disaster!!! But I will say what millions of people of the former USSR think. How can this self-obsessed being have enough boorishness to appear in front of peoples' eyes!!! How much blood and tears are on your tiny soul, remember my Armenia, Karabakh, Baku, Sumgait, remember all the 15 republics, which because of you and your "perestroishchiki" have been ruined ans to this day cannot recover. I don't want to write about the sufferings and deprivations that have fallen on the heads of the people of the former USSR. But if you had a conscience, you would have hung yourself long ago!!! 24.12.05. With great respect to the newspaper AIF!!!

Mikhail Gorbachev:

I think that two things can explain everything: 1, the person has no information at all relating to the events taking place in the USSR in the years of perestroika, does not know the positions of the politicians of that time, and, in general, reminds me of someone who has gotten lost in the woods. Although I notice that Akopyan has set himself up nicely in Canada, using means that perestroika gave him -- freedom of choice.

Oleg, Riga: Does your conscience torment you?

Gorbachev: In general, I consider myself to be a person who has not lost his conscience, notwithstanding what I have lived through. I am a person of conscience. And today I hold very closely to my heart everything that is happening in the country and the world.

Nikolai Vasilevich, Westchester, USA: Mikhail Sergeevich! Why did you not choose an evolutionary path of development for the Soviet Union and its economy, and why to this day have you not publically repented before the people for your criminal leadership of the country, and instead continue to deceive people? You are at the age where it is time to be honest before God and the people.

Gorbachev: We, in fact, were adherents of evolutionary change -- gradually increasing the potential of the market economy, using for this the potentials of loans, cooperatives; developing the banking and financial sphere; and training cadres and mechanisms for operating in conditions of a market economy. I said at the time that we needed 20-25 years for this. Then fanatical democrats presented my position to the people as indecisiveness and supported those who suggested solving all the problems in one blow. I understand that many people wanted rapid changes, this was a result of life. But we know how things turned out, and, Thank God, today we are doing what we should have done then.

Nikolai Vasilevich, I disregard your wish that I cease my lies and near the end of my life become honest before God and the people. You know, I cannot agree with your claim, as very many people know that Gorbachev has no reason to repent.

Inna Andreevna: My unrespected Mikhail Sergeevich!

I doubt very much, that my address to you will be published. But in accordance with your "glasnost" (Lord! What a term you chose... complete idiocy...)

Mikhail Sergeevich! With your policies you brought great harm to my family. I will not describe the details (they were not and are not of interest to you) I will say only that I do not hold malice toward you. But if you appeared less often in front of my eyes, on TV or in print, I will be very grateful.

Without respect for you, Ex-citizen of the USSR, today (obligated to because of your unintelligent policy) an emigrant, Inna Andreevna, 52 years old PS. I would with gratitude shake the hand of that man (if I am not mistaken, a Siberian) who smacked you during your trip in Siberia!

Gorbachev:

Inna Andreevna, there are women who can stop a running horse or run into a burning house... Nevertheless, I congratulate you with the New Year and wish that order and light with enter into your spirit!

G. Tsenkova:

Mikhail Sergeevich, don't pay attention to the malice they are splashing you with, there are people who UNDERSTAND the situation in which you found yourself then. What is important is that you wanted to make Russia into a rich and progressive country, not stealing like the Family of Yeltsin, not disgracing your name with that. I wish you health and happiness, I congratulate you and your family with the coming holidays.

Gorbachev:

Respected Galina (probably), I thank you for understanding, and I share and accept your advice. Although I cannot say that I am indifferent to positive signals and attention, which are in our society and in general in the world, or to critical ones. Malicious wishes are also not news to me. Somebody who bears malice, it seems, breaks through a limit, and has to spit it out or be be poisoned. In such a situation it seems to help people.

Nu, zayats, pogodi!

__________________________________________ Yahoo! DSL – Something to write home about. Just $16.99/mo. or less. dsl.yahoo.com