[lbo-talk] Japan to promote gender equality in jobs

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Fri Dec 30 08:57:19 PST 2005

On Fri, 30 Dec, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> "Demographic Trends and Their Implications for Japan's Future," 7
> March 1997, <http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/japan/socsec/ogawa.html>
>
> A very interesting story.

This whole article is fascinating and enjoyable. Thanks for posting the link.

> I hope that Japanese women will continue to stick to the birth strike

The paragraph after the section you cite makes it sound like it isn't so much a birth strike as a strike against having sex period:

<quote>

And I am a bit worried about Japanese women because arranged marriages

are gone; the marriage market is free, but according to my data in

Japan 45% of single girls are not dating. I mean this figure has been

stable since the beginning of the 1990s.

<unquote>

That's pretty stunning. Sounds like a job for the internet :o)

Michael