[lbo-talk] The Origin of the World

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Dec 30 23:03:46 PST 2005

> The current story of human evolution suggests that human beings almost
> didn't make it -- the line that became homo sapiens was down to around
> 7000 individuals -- and that the 'secret' of pulling through was
> learning to be cooperative, to work together, and not cut-throat
> competition. The only other line that survived, it now appears, were
> the Flores hobbits; all the other lines just died out.
>
> Happy New Year everyone -- hey, 2005 turned out pretty well after all,
> especially when measured against the general gloom and doom at the end
> of 2004.
>
> kj

To celebrate the coming of a new year, as well as the tenacious survival of the species that almost didn't make it, I put "L'Origine du monde" by Gustave Courbet (who died on 31 Dec. 1877) up on MRZine: <http://mrzine.monthlyreview.org/index311205.html>. (Will switch to his "Sleepers" later.)

It's also a memento of the quiet labor struggle of women in Japan: <http://mrzine.monthlyreview.org/furuhashi311205.html>.

Yoshie Furuhashi <http://montages.blogspot.com> <http://monthlyreview.org> <http://mrzine.org>