[lbo-talk] Happy Bad Year!

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Sat Dec 31 15:01:07 PST 2005

On Dec 31, 2005, at 12:57 PM, Michael Pollak wrote:

> On Sat, 31 Dec 2005, Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:
>

>> And what is the best we can hope for in this world of freedom of
>> plenty? That Democrats may make some progress in the midterm
>> elections, which is a very big if anyway?
>>

> An extremely big if, thanks to the enormous advances in
> gerrymandering that computers have made possible in the last 10
> years. There was a short blurb on this subject in yesterday's FT's
> predictions for 2006 article. The last paragraph is a killer. If
> the Dems do as well as the Repugs did in 1994 -- the well-oiled
> "Contract With America" campaign" -- they'll only get a fifth as
> many as seats.

In 1994 there wasn't touchscreen voting. Now you've got the Mark Crispin Miller's book "Fooled Again" factor - Miller is adamant that the Diebold and other electronic voting machines are corrupted. These machines are finding their way into every state of the union, including here in CA where the Secretary of State conducted a study that determined the machines *were* corruptable and started to rid the state of them. But then, I believe, a reversal took place. Can't remember the exact details but the governator probably had something to do with it. www.markcrispinmiller.blogspot.com/ marta -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20051231/2b3913e1/attachment.htm>