[lbo-talk] self-exploitation or self-interest?

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 1 07:38:34 PST 2005

In Modesto, California, where I lived for a few years, there is the Organized Labor Credit Union, a credit union available only to:

"union members belonging to locals and retirees of locals in the following counties of California: Alameda, Amador, Butte, Calaveras, Contra Costa, Madera, Mariposa, Merced, Nevada, Placer, Sacramento, San Joaquin, Stanislaus, Tuolumne, Yolo, and Yuba. The field of membership also includes immediate family members related by blood, marriage or legal action to the credit union member. Union locals can be members of the credit union." [ http://www.olcu.org/about_us.htm ]

That there aren't more things like this available nationally is a tragedy. The credit union can pool resources to invest in labor-friendly, or labor-controlled, projects, etc.., and I'm pretty sure it does so.

-B.

Wojtek wrote:
> Yet the only community-based credit union I have
ever seen in this country
> was in Santa Cruz, CA - while other poor communities
that I experienced in
> this country use check cashing or tax refund places,
and pawn shops for

===== "I'm not too worried by hegemony / I know the cadre will look after me" - Magazine, "Model Worker," 1978