[lbo-talk] C.I.A. Said to Rebuff Congress on Nazi Files

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Tue Feb 1 10:31:41 PST 2005

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/30/international/europe/30nazis.html

NYT

January 30 2005

C.I.A. Said to Rebuff Congress on Nazi Files By DOUGLAS JEHL

Published: January 30, 2005

WASHINGTON, Jan. 29 - The Central Intelligence Agency is refusing to provide hundreds of thousands of pages of documents sought by a government working group under a 1998 law that requires full disclosure of classified records related to Nazi war criminals, say Congressional officials from both parties.

Under the law, the C.I.A. has already provided more than 1.2 million pages of documents, the vast majority of them from the archives of its World War II predecessor, the Office of Strategic Services. Many documents have been declassified, and some made public last year showed a closer relationship between the United States government and Nazi war criminals than had previously been understood, including the C.I.A.'s recruitment of war criminal suspects or Nazi collaborators.