[lbo-talk] Re: Say BYE BYE to VINYL!

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 1 11:25:46 PST 2005

>From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
>
>Carl Remick wrote:
>
>>Quite true. The ubiquity of recorded music has diminished the communal
>>aspect of music making and produced such debased listening experiences as
>>Muzak.
>
>Yes, and back in the old days, when families hung around the piano making
>music, everyone had beautiful voices and the accompanist could fling
>arpeggios like a pro. I keep forgetting that everything sucks & is getting
>worse.

As my earlier comments reflect, I see music as one exception to the Iron Law of Universal Decay. Freedom from the tyranny of traditional music is no trivial achievement. E.g., I am still haunted by memories of Ken Burns' Civil War documentary -- not by Burns' tedious depiction of the war itself but by that awful, incessant fiddle playing. If mournful fiddles were as inescapable in mid-19th century America as Burns suggests, there is no reason to bewail the technological advances that have brought us a more varied and entertaining musical mix.

Carl