[lbo-talk] Krugman: Many Unhappy Returns

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Feb 1 13:37:00 PST 2005

Michael Pollak wrote:

> [Doug made this argument in 1998:
>
> http://www.leftbusinessobserver.com/AntisocInsec.html
>
> and he was like a voice of reason in the wilderness. When I read it, got
> excited, and cited it to someone who now writes editorials for the NYT, she
> looked at me like I was championing cold fusion. Now, 7 years later, it's
> finally become mainstream:

You don't mention the key part of the article from LBO. The material on Social Security has always been obvious. Its one of the many open secrets that constitute the real conspiracies under capitalism. The key part was his correct observation that only the Lewinsky affair prevented Clinton from torpedoing Social Security. As is becoming more and more probable, a Republican president can't do it; he generates too much open opposition. Social Security is probably safe until the u.s. elects another Democratic president.

Carrol