[lbo-talk] Re: Say BYE BYE to VINYL!

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 1 14:23:04 PST 2005

>From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
>
>Carl Remick wrote:
>
>>Bad art is the sea we swim in.
>
>Yeah, and I wouldn't be surprised if cavedwellers Ugg and Thugg rolled
>their eyes whenever the dreaded Bugg started singing too.

Only Mel Brooks would know for sure.

Actually, what I'm really leveling the bony finger of indignation at is *commercial* aesthetics, the leading source of bad taste on the planet. It's interesting, e.g., to note how the aesthetics of power have deteriorated under capitalism. Contrast, for instance, the spiffy designs of medieval heraldry with the eyesores that modern logos typically are. I take one look at Dunkin Donuts' orange and pink signs, for instance, and feel like throwing up, not buying donuts. This is no trivial concern. The central commercial strips of communities across the land are filled with mile after mile of hideous logo-bearing signage.

Carl