[lbo-talk] re: gorby si, putin no...

frank scott frank at marin.cc.ca.us
Tue Feb 1 17:19:52 PST 2005

Gorbachev Calls Iraqi Elections "Fake" http://www.mosnews.com/news/2005/01/31/gorbacheviraq.shtml

Former Soviet president Mikhail Gorbachev called the Iraqi parliamentary elections a profanation.

In an interview with the Interfax news agency, he said the elections are "very far from what true elections are. And even though I am a supporter of elections and of the transfer of power to the people of Iraq, these elections were fake."

"I don't think these elections will be of any use. They may even have a negative impact on the country. Democracy cannot be imposed or strengthened with guns and tanks," the agency quoted Gorbachev as saying.

Earlier, the Russian Foreign Ministry said it respected the results of Iraq's elections. However, the statement said that it was important for the Iraqi people to acknowledge and accept the poll's results. Russian President Vladimir Putin also welcomed the parliamentary elections in Iraq, calling it a "step in the right direction" and a "positive event".