[lbo-talk] Mr. Churchill

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Feb 1 17:37:13 PST 2005

>Doug Henwood wrote:
>
>>Is the line between anarchism and nihilism that fine?
>
>I suggest that everybody read Professor Churchill's statement about the
>controversy. I think he makes many important points, which people can read
>about in detail in his excellent book.
>
>Like many controversies, this one will deal with superficial takes on what
>people think Churchill is arguing, but the good thing is that more
>Americans will read this book.
>
>Chuck

It isn't that he doesn't make any worthwhile points just that he paints with too broad a brush. I've been reading him for a long time and I like his confrontational style. I give copies of his "Pacifism as Pathology" published by Arbeiter Ring to friends and family as gifts and find that he has something original and interesting to say frequently. He is just wrong in this instance although not for the reason most people seem to think. He is media savvy enough how his comments will be construed and this episode shows surprising ignorance on his part. I have my doubts too many people will actually read his book or books based on this controversy. They will assume they already know what they need to about the issue. He has just marginalized himself more with this essay and has gained nothing. He has given his critics ammunition to use against him without their seeming to be twisting his words. He shouldn't have written things as he did and after that damage was done he should have simply apologized for his "excessive" excoriating of the victims and let it go.

John Thornton

--- avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean. Virus Database (VPS): 0505-0, 01/31/2005 Tested on: 2/1/2005 7:38:26 PM avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2004 ALWIL Software. http://www.avast.com