[lbo-talk] Re: bourgie art good? prole art bad?

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 2 06:29:46 PST 2005

>From: frank scott <frank at marin.cc.ca.us>
>
>Carl Remick wrote: "Bad art is the sea we swim in. It has far more
>influence over public tastes than good art because it is so
>omnipresent."
>
>hmmmm...and who is it that decides what is "good" art and what is "bad"?

No one can *decide* what is good or bad art. This is a free-for-all, open-ended contest where contenders have no other authority other than to *insist* their view is right and hope that their powers of argumentation (and/or ridicule) can influence others.

As I said, my opinion is that corporations have the most poisonous impact on public aesthetics today, contributing -- via hideous logos, vapid architecture, etc. -- to so many butt-ugly communities from sea to shining sea.

Carl