[lbo-talk] Iraq polls may be skewed: Turkey

uvj at vsnl.com uvj at vsnl.com
Wed Feb 2 07:03:02 PST 2005

HindustanTimes.com

Iraq polls may be skewed: Turkish premier

Associated Press

Istanbul, February 1

Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan sharply criticized the US-led coalition in neighbouring Iraq on Tuesday and said that low voter turnout by some groups in Iraqi elections could skew the results and lead to chaos.

Erdogan said that authorities failed to heed Turkish warnings ahead of the polls -- an apparent reference to warnings that Kurds could end up dominating the multiethnic and oil-rich city of Kirkuk in Iraq's north and other warnings that Sunnis would have a low turnout and be underrepresented.

"Unfortunately, some elements that disturb us have emerged in the election process. We are concerned that some segments did not participate in the elections at the level that we had hoped for and the possibility that results may display an imbalanced picture in ethnic terms," Erdogan told lawmakers from his governing party in a speech in Ankara.

"I'd like to inform powers responsible for providing order about our nation's sorrow that the necessary sensitivity was not shown," Erdogan said.

Turkey is concerned that the elections could strengthen the power of ethnic Kurds in northern Iraq and especially in Kirkuk, which Turkish officials have warned could lead to clashes that could draw Turkey into the dispute.

Turkey fears that Kurdish control of Kirkuk's oil resources could make an independent Kurdish state more viable, which could inspire Kurds in southeastern Turkey, where Kurdish rebels have battled the Turkish army since 1984.

"Powers claiming that they came to bring democracy to the region preferred to remain insensitive to these antidemocratic ambitions," Erdogan said. "Everyone must know that Turkey ... won't allow this geography to be delivered to chaos that will last for long years."

© HT Media Ltd. 2004.