[lbo-talk] Prostitution vs the Dole

Leigh Meyers leigh_m at sbcglobal.net
Wed Feb 2 10:15:00 PST 2005

----- Original Message ----- From: Mark Kernes To: NEWSROOM-L at LISTS.NETSPACE.ORG Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2005 9:35 AM Subject: Re: [NEWSROOM-L] Check out "Telegraph | News | 'If you don't take a job as a prostitute, we can stop your benefits'"

One of the nice things about having friends in low places:

The URL for this page is http://www.snopes.com/media/notnews/brothel.asp

<< Thank you for this correction/clarification:

Origins: A news story about a 25-year-old German woman who faced cuts to her unemployment benefits for turning down a job providing "sexual services'' at a brothel was carried by a variety of English-language news sources in January 2005. It has struck a chord in many readers as an example of liberal morality and bureaucracy run amok: if prostitution is legalized (as it was in Germany back in 2002), this story suggests, then society has conferred its approval upon that trade, and prostitution can therefore be proffered to (and even foisted upon) women as a valid choice of employment.

We remain skeptical about the literal truth of the version reported in the English press, however, because the issue seems to have received scant attention in the German press (at least that we can find). Most German-language sources on this topic point to an 18 December 2004 article from the Berlin newspaper Tageszeitung, which (as far as our rusty command of German allows us to discern) does not report that women in Germany must accept employment in brothels or face cuts in their unemployment benefits. The article merely presents that concept as a technical possibility under current law - it does not cite any actual cases of women losing their benefits over this issue, and it quotes representatives from employment agencies as saying that while it might be legally permissible to reduce unemployment benefits to women who have declined to accept employment as prostitutes, they (the agencies) would not actually do that. The thrust of the article seems to be that there is a loophole in the law which has not yet exploited and should be closed.

We suspect this is another case where, like a game of "telephone," a story has been garbled as it has passed from one news source to the next, and somewhere in the rewriting and translating process what was originally discussed as a mere hypothetical possibility has now been reported as a factual occurrence.

Last updated: 31 January 2005 >>

Mark Kernes, Sr. Ed., AVN

NetSpace LISTSERV(R) software donated by L-Soft, Inc. http://www.lsoft.com =====

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.302 / Virus Database: 265.8.4 - Release Date: 2/1/2005