[lbo-talk] Re: Vinyl

Joseph Wanzala jwanzala at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 2 10:57:53 PST 2005

I would tend to agree with Doug that "[the] narrative of relentless homogenization and decline badly needs some fact-checking." and "that there are all kinds of cultural microenvironments." However, I think Wojtek does have a point. While there is a lot of interesting cross-fertilization within mainstream American music genres and certainly an important creative regeneration in R&B for example which has to some extent eclipsed Rap/Hip Hop, it is in fact more difficult for so-called 'world music' to break into these same markets - without diluting or compromising its authenticity - which defeats the purpose. So, from an internationalist perspective, the American music scene does seem rather insular - even though it might even be said to be experiencing a mini renaissance. The same people who enjoy "Green Day, Snoop Dogg, and cross-genre collaborations like Nelly/Tim McGraw and Jay-Z/Linkin Park" are quite insensible to musics (sic) from outside - while 'world music' enjoyed phyrric popularity during the late 80's early 90s, (with a little help from samaritans like Paul Simon and Ry Cooder - Graceland/Buena Vista Social Club) it has been increasingly difficult for musicians in these genres, who enjoy great popularity and marketability in Europe, to gain a meaningful foothold in the US, notwithstanding the growing immigrant populations and seeming creative fecundity of mainstream American musicians.

Joe W.