[lbo-talk] Any comments/links re Iraq elections?

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Wed Feb 2 11:01:14 PST 2005

I'm sure I'll get denouced as an apologist for imperialism for saying this, but really, Charles, if you asked almost anyone on earth whether he or she would prefer to live in North or South Korea, you'd have a hard time finding anyone who preferred the North.

Doug

^^^^ CB: I take your point to be that if the U.S. had not invaded, occupied and embargoed , the north would not be poor.

^^^^

Dwayne :

Up to a certain point, I sympathize with people who praise states like N. Korea for its continued (and very costly) resistance to the Washington dominated system. But there's a danger of elevating this resistance to an absolute virtue - one that covers every flaw like newly fallen snow. Conversely, states like S. Korea - very much a part of the world game - are given little credit for the styles of resistance they craft within the available space.

-clip- ^^^^^^ CB: Yes, I certainly don't mean to denigrate the forms of resistance that the people in the south have used. The trade union movement there is one of the most militant in the world. We often hear, even in our controlled media, of student and other protests against the imperialist occupiers and the compradors.

( Overposted, I plead the Carl Remick defenses , and a new one: imperialism made me do it)