[lbo-talk] "Sociology: Religion of Materialism"

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Feb 2 12:14:27 PST 2005

> B.
> http://www.rjwhite.com/RJ_political_sociology.htm
>

> SOCIOLOGY is not a science, but a religion.
>

> ^^^^^^
>
> CB: Well, at best it's just another master narrative.

Certainly some of it. Sociology is probably one of the most diverse disciplines, combining many different genres. Some of it is lit crit in disguise or perhaps high-brow journalism, while other stuff is more scientific (i.e. involving rigorous hypothesis testing using both qualitative and quantitative data).

But I also think that diversity makes sociology rather interesting, especially in comparison to more "monochromatic" poli-sci or the "broken vinyl record" econ (market Σx2/pπ ƒ(xzy) market Σx2/pπ ƒ(xzy) market Σx2/pπ ƒ(xzy) market ....)

Wojtek