[lbo-talk] "Sociology: Religion of Materialism"

robert mast mastrob at comcast.net
Wed Feb 2 15:04:20 PST 2005

>From Theodorson & Theodorson, A Modern Dictionary of Sociology, 1969: Sociology is "The scientific study of human social behavior. Sociology studies the processes and patterns of individual and group interaction, the forms of organization of social groups, the relationships among them, and group influences on individual behavior."

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sociology is capable of "master narrative" (story telling) after observations have been made and conclusions drawn. The unit of observation can range from the two person to the world system, incorporating a vast number of variables that require theoretical formulations for their management. Every social-behavorial science 'discipline' finds a place in sociology which, as noted by Wojtek, "makes sociology rather interesting." Sociology's choices of units, variables, and theory are greatly determined by the politics and ideology of the chooser, which in turn is determined by those who provide the chooser's income while dictating the narrative content and style. Not too different than journalism, I reckon, but we already knew that.

Bob Mast