[lbo-talk] Re: Mr. Churchill

Joseph Wanzala jwanzala at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 2 17:14:32 PST 2005

I totally reject the right wing efforts to shoot down Churchill, to censor him over *anything*. But his position is really bad on two accounts. First, He supports the official story, ie that 9/11 was an attack from the outside on America, only he celebrates it, much as the article by the Retort Group (my friend Iain Boal & Co.) in the New Left Review from last Summer did. Such people WANT to believe 9/11 was an attack on America, because such a view corresponds to their ideological needs. Two, his branding of the victims as "little Eichmanns" is off-the-wall. The vast majority were but wage slaves, and paper pushers are no less wage slaves than janitors or cafeteria workers. All of us, including Chruchill, enable the continued functioning of the empire by the very act of working for a wage, or buying anything. That is hardly something which makes us Eichmanns. I will defend Churchill's right to say what he wants to say, but will strongly condemn what he said because of the massive inaccuracies he elevates to the level of "truth".