[lbo-talk] Re: remaking health insurance

Lou Johnson loujohnson705 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 2 17:38:56 PST 2005

Along the same lines, today at the small community-funded homeless shelter I volunteer at (about 100-bed max), staff said that they'd gotten a letter saying 5 of the area mental health providers were shutting down due to state/federal budget cuts, so the shelter should expect increased need.

Unfortunately, shelter is presently full to overflow and last month was highest usage (bed-nights) in the shelter's 20+-year history. Today we turned away 5 people just in my 4-hour volunteer stint. This is a small town (about 30,000 people, though we serve a wider rural county).

Same day, the local housing authority announced that budget cuts force layoffs & decreased services.

More cuts coming. Unemployment here about 7-8%.

The same week, I read the oil companies are showing historical record profits.

Something is really messed up.