[lbo-talk] Mr. Churchill

amadeus amadeus amadeus482000 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 2 17:42:38 PST 2005

damn, i predicted that my response to these posts would undoubtedly be an outright defense of mr. churchill, but then i read the actual article, and, apart from its emotional appeals, found it shed little light on its subject matter.

yes, it is in a sense correct to criticize the crocodile-tear mourning of the mass media. the mediocrity of the mediaocracy politicized the mourning of 9/11, to the point where anyone who publicly echoed these expressions became, like the media, proxy supporters of the emerging US agenda. the media sought from the very beginning to own and commodify the mourning of 9/11's victims for the purpose of the State, so that anyone else airing their sorrows needed to buy the product to participate.

but this point becomes somewhat lost in churchill's discourse as he wanes abstract in his cynicism on the state of the american populace. And with no objective criteria for doing so, the whole thing derails into demagoguery. whether he's complaining about his fantasies of suburban yuppiedom (e.g. "roll-neck sweaters", "litte 'Tiffany' and 'Ashley'") or retroactively criticizing to Arab stereotypes ("sand n-----s" and "camel jockeys"), he makes no inroads towards an understanding of the complexities of 9/11, apart from the aphorism in the title.

(And, if the "tomb of those killed in the WTC" is really that of "little Eichmanns," how can it be "desecrated" by "staging a veritable pep rally atop the mangled remains of those they profess to honor"?) --adx --- Kevin Robert Dean <Qualiall at adelphia.net> wrote:

<http://www.mlive.com/newsflash/national/index.ssf?/base/national-38/1107134301139680.xml&storylist=national>