[lbo-talk] Re: Mr. Churchill

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Feb 3 07:52:49 PST 2005

Carroll:
> At the time the U.S. was destroying the Congo, the most effective bit of
> propaganda was a heart-wrenching photograph of a white man in anguish
> over the body of his German shepherd that had been cruelly shot by one
> of those ______ whatever. It proved that the Congolese and their leader,
> Lumumba, were just a bunch of savages.

Cannot get rid of those US-tinted lenses, can you? The vilification of the enemy or flattering friends through appeal to basic human emotions is universal. Every nation used it in the time of war. When I was in elementary school I remember reading a WWII story of a Red Army Soldier pulling a little German girl from a burning building - which was a response to a the Nazi propaganda showing Red Army soldiers raping a little girl.

"Killing the innocents" is such a trite and hackneyed war propaganda trick that it does not even warrant mentioning. Yet you manage to put a US-centric spin on it by race-baiting it. Is it really so difficult to see things in a frame that goes beyond the Podunk horizon?

Wojtek