[lbo-talk] Re: Mr. Churchill

snit snat snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Feb 3 07:58:14 PST 2005

At 10:35 AM 2/3/2005, you wrote:

>snit snat wrote:
> >
> > no, i'm argung that racism alone doesn't explain the bush administration's
> > actions. neither does conspiracy theory, but chalking it all up to racism
> > is just idiotic.
> >

>I'm not sure what "explain" means in this context, but if it means
>_cause_, racism is in now way a _cause_ of the policy, but it is a major
>factor in gaining popoular acceptance of the policy. Either Bush or
>Kerry would have been equally willing to slaughter a few million for the
>cause, but either would have had a much harder time generating popular
>acceptance had the victims been white.

well, here's the context. The Clinton administration took warnings like that very seriously. The Bush administartion apparently did not. Neither one is more racist than the other. So, taking them seriously had very little to do with racism. Furthermore, the Busheviks DID take very seriously the threat against Genoa earlier that summer and went to great lengths to make sure the presdinet was safe there. So, it wasn't that they didn't believe something could happen because they had believed that 'little brown people' were too incompetent to pull it off. IT's the most absurd thing I've ever heard given that those same 'little brown people' had already tried to blow up the WTC, had tried to attack the u.s. New Year's 2000, the Cole, etc. etc. Racism does not explain why they ignored a warning about Al Q striking in the u.s.

Kelley