[lbo-talk] Re: Vinyl

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Feb 3 13:22:49 PST 2005

Brian:
> Terrance and I were moved by the entire film, often in
> tears. Your lack of emotional response might have more to
> with your upbringing in the cold climate of Northern Europe
> than with what is on the screen or some imagined directoral
> restraint.

That is so off the target in this context that it makes me doubt that you actually saw the film. The only character in that film that did nor respond emotionally to what was happening was the African manager (although he had a nervous breakdown briefly - just to show his emotional side - but then he quickly regains control of himself.) The characters that are paralyzed by their emotions - mainly fear and guilt - are the Europeans.

More generally - there is a difference between showing emotions in a thoughtful, persuasive or innovative way, and cheap sentimentalism and tear jerking employed solely to produce a dramatic effect. The difference lies not as much in what is shown but in using clichés. The scene from the _Battleship Potemkin_ showing a baby stroller rolling uncontrollably down the stair was clearly intended to evoke emotional reaction in the audience - but when it was shot (1925) it was innovative and refreshing. Using similar gimmicks today, as Hollywood often does, is a cliché.

Ps I think that _Hotel Rwanda_ used quite a few clichés but in a way that was actually interesting. That ability of taking a cliché and turning it into something creative was actually a strong point of the film.

Wojtek