[lbo-talk] Rape a nun for democracy, Elliott!

Tom Walker timework at telus.net
Thu Feb 3 14:12:41 PST 2005

Gratitude is due to the White House for making clear what /it/ means

by democracy: the Salvador option.

<> Washington Post: Iran-Contra Figure to Lead Democracy Efforts Abroad

From News Services Thursday, February 3, 2005; Page A25

Elliott Abrams, who pleaded guilty in 1991 to withholding information from Congress in the Iran-contra affair, was promoted to deputy national security adviser to President Bush.

Abrams, who previously was in charge of Middle East affairs, will be responsible for pushing Bush's strategy for advancing democracy.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6802629/site/newsweek/ http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=20010702&s=corn

David Corn, writing in the Nation, June 14, 2001:

/One Abrams specialty was massacre denial. During a Nightline appearance in 1985, he was asked about reports that the US-funded Salvadoran military had slaughtered civilians at two sites the previous summer. Abrams maintained that no such events had occurred. And had the US Embassy and the State Department conducted an investigation? "My memory," he said, "is that we did, but I don't want to swear to it, because I'd have to go back and look at the cables." But there had been no State Department inquiry; Abrams, in his lawyerly fashion, was being disingenuous. Three years earlier, when two American journalists reported that an elite, US-trained military unit had massacred hundreds of villagers in El Mozote, Abrams told Congress that the story was commie propaganda, as he fought for more US aid to El Salvador's military. The massacre, as has since been confirmed, was real. And in 1993 after a UN truth commission, which examined 22,000 atrocities that occurred during the twelve-year civil war in El Salvador, attributed 85 percent of the abuses to the Reagan-assisted right-wing military and its death-squad allies, Abrams declared, "The Administration's record on El Salvador is one of fabulous achievement." Tell that to the survivors of El Mozote./