[lbo-talk] shooting people is fun!

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Thu Feb 3 16:12:22 PST 2005

Doug posted:

>Marine General Counseled for Comments
>
>Associated Press Feb.3 2005
>1 hour, 10 minutes ago
>
>WASHINGTON - The commandant of the Marine Corps said Thursday he has
>counseled a senior subordinate for saying publicly, "It's fun to
>shoot some people."
>
>Lt. Gen. James N. Mattis, an infantry officer who has commanded
>Marines in both Afghanistan (news - web sites) and Iraq (news - web
>sites), made the comments Tuesday while speaking to a forum in San
>Diego about strategies for the war on terror. Mattis is the
>commanding general of the Marine Corps Combat Development Command in
>Quantico, Va.
>
>According to an audio recording of Mattis' remarks, he said,
>"Actually, it's a lot of fun to fight. You know, it's a hell of a
>hoot. ... It's fun to shoot some people. I'll be right upfront with
>you, I like brawling."
>
>He added, "You go into Afghanistan, you got guys who slap women
>around for five years because they didn't wear a veil," Mattis
>continued. "You know, guys like that ain't got no manhood left
>anyway. So it's a hell of a lot of fun to shoot them."
>
>Thursday, Gen. Mike Hagee, commandant of the Marine Corps, issued a
>statement saying, "I have counseled him concerning his remarks and
>he agrees he should have chosen his words more carefully."
>
>"While I understand that some people may take issue with the
>comments made by him, I also know he intended to reflect the
>unfortunate and harsh realities of war," Hagee said. "Lt. Gen.
>Mattis often speaks with a great deal of candor."
>
>Hagee also praised Mattis, calling him "one of this country's
>bravest and most experienced military leaders."
>
>He said the commitment of Marines "helps to provide us the fortitude
>to take the lives of those who oppress others or threaten this
>nation's security. This is not something we relish, yet we accept it
>as a reality in our profession of arms."
>
>He said he was confident Mattis would continue to serve.
>
>According to Mattis' biography, he commanded, as a lieutenant
>colonel, an assault battalion during the first war with Iraq. During
>the war in Afghanistan, he commanded the 1st Marine Expeditionary
>Brigade; in the second war in Iraq, he commanded the 1st Marine
>Division during the invasion and early period after the war.

Is it any wonder that living in America sometimes drives Ward Churchill mad? -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Greens for Nader: <http://greensfornader.net/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * OSU-GESO: <http://www.osu-geso.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>